Sunday, November 15, 2009

Early season training and the Highland Fling

Early season training is going well. Coach has got me doing some nice long k's and plently of gym sessions. I am loving the mountain bike at the moment, it is always at this time of year (without any big races or pressure) that I remember why I love riding. Trying to keep up with Warren Burgess around Manly dam (him on a Rize and me on a HT) has been a highlilght, along with going out to smash apart the Cooma trails but often coming off second best.
The Highland Fling has been a bit of an annual pilrmige for me and this year's event was as good as ever. It is always a great atmosphere at the camping and fun to chat with the neighbours and make new friends. My form was as expected, OK for speed, but lacking in endurance. I managed to get second in the "Bundanoon Dash" behind Pez with Dennis Van Mill 3rd. The main event, the 112km marathon, started well and I spent a brief period in an early solo break. It was all together again through the first transition and as expected the attacking started during the 2nd stage. I managed to hang on in the main bunch until about the halfway point where I blew apart. From there it was a less than impressive display of suffering just to get to the end for 9th position. Good training though, and just a fun event to be a part of - well done the all the Wild Horizons crew.

No comments: