Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Marathon World Championships – Blog: T minus 32 days

The world marathon championships are 32 days away and I thought it might be a good time write a blog.  I plan to post regular entries here, so if you are interested in keeping track of my progress feel free to drop by again over the next month.

After the Husky100 I had a bit of a break off the bike; it was a little shorter than I would have liked after having a pretty busy season, but big objectives require some sacrifices so I had to hang up the skis and get back on the bike. I have been focusing a lot on volume rather than intensity over the past month in and effort to build slowly and resist the temptation to go too hard and peak too early. In theory, it sounded good but the reality of working as much as I do meant that I spent a lot of cold, solo hours in the dark in the hills and back roads West of Canberra. My only solace was that I convinced myself that it would make me tougher.

The first big test of my progress was last weekend in Wollombi NSW, Round #5 of the Real Insurance XCM Series.  In the bigger picture of my preparation for the World Champs this race wasn’t much more than in indication of my level, but sitting 2nd in the series behind Shaun Lewis who has dominated the series so far, I couldn’t consider it as just another training ride.  It was a must-win for me in order to keep the increasingly prestigious series alive as well as my first opportunity to race in my national champion jersey. Trenton Day and I broke away from the field on the first climb at 10km and worked really well together to build a comfortable lead.  At the turn around we had over 2 minutes from what looked like a fragmented and disorganised chase and I was confident that we would stay away. With very few climbs in the second half of the course I was resigned to a 2-up sprint at the finish, however at the bottom of the last big descent I noticed that I had a small gap of around 30m. Without thinking too much, I attacked and to my surprise I had managed to catch Trenton off guard and soon built a small lead.  It was then a 15km individual pursuit to the finish which was very reminiscent of the Convict 100 and I managed to hold on for the win.  I was happy with my sensations and stoked to keep the series alive with only the Highland Fling remaining.  Unfortunately for Trenton it was another 2nd place (he has 3 now for the year), but as a very young guy I know his time will come....very soon!

Now I will start to increase the training intensity through to my next big test which will be the Dwellingup 100 in Western Australia.  I am really looking forward to this event that I did last year for the first time; it is really well organised and has a great atmosphere, there are also some super strong lads over there like Peter Hatton and Craig Cooke that are always motivated to stop guys from the East coast coming over and burgling their races.

Enjoy the Spring weather!

No comments: