Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Jayco National Series #3 - Mt Buller




Photos by Tim Bardsley-Smith

After 40 degree temperatures and melting tarmac the last time we raced a national round at Mt Buller, the mountain turned on contrasting conditions this time, with riders battling hypothermia rather than heat stroke. It rained constantly from lunch time on Friday, and right through race day on Saturday, making the track very hard work but heaps of fun. My team mate Nick and I got around for a practice lap in the rain on Friday afternoon and we had a blast, sliding around in the alpine mud, I couldn't wait for the race.

Unfortunately, I just didn't have the legs on this occasion and after the first 2 laps, I had gone from the front row to 18th position. I kept pushing hard, especially on the descent, and eventually managed to get going. After a couple of solid laps through the middle of the race saw me climb up to 11th, and I was having heaps of fun, but on the second last lap I started to blow like a steam train. This was a very bad sign, and with the rain & wind driving harder than ever, I was soon struggling to keep warm. The last lap was an absolute struggle, my arms felt so cold and stiff that I felt barely able steer my bike. I limped into the finish for 12th place, and went straight back to the lodge for a hot shower and a nice cup of tea. Having had a lot bigger expectations for this weekend, I was a bit disappointed with the result, but it isn't the end of the world. At least I had a lot of fun (for about 1/3 of the race) in some of the toughest conditions I have ever raced in. I've got to say a big thanks to all the feeders, volunteers, and race staff that braved the horrendous conditions.

So what is the perfect therapy for getting over a disappointing race? ........Stonefly. Stonefly is the latest trail to be opened at Mt Buller MTB Park and makes a 10km loop out near Mt Stirling. Nick and I headed out there on Sunday morning and timed it perfectly to see the first signs of sun shine all weekend when the clouds parted long enough for us to glimpse some of the most amazing scenery that the Victorian high country has to offer. As for the trail, it was great. Still slick from all the rain, it was in prime condition for drifting through the countless berms and rhythmic inversions. Definitely one of those trails that has you subconsciously squealing like I little girl. Though in Silk Lane and Misty Twist, and I was cured...what race?


No comments: