Tuesday, November 23, 2010

National Series #1 - You Yangs

The weekend's opening National Series round was the first time I have ever raced at the You Yangs and I have to say it is definitely one of the best XC tracks in Oz. It had me a little worried after my first practice lap, and I was thinking: "how am I going to ride that fast without flatting or crashing!?" A couple more practice laps and my biggest problem was trying to tear myself away to go and rest up for race day. I could have ridden that D many more times, I was loving finding a new line on each lap and getting quicker and quicker. Heaps of fun.

Come race day I was feeling pretty good. I was a little concerned at how I would handle the high power rocky climbing sections since I have not had much intensity yet, but I was super keen to change around and get an idea for where I am at. First lap was pretty smooth really but I did have a few nervous moments on the start loop, the scariest when the big Paul VDP decided to lean on me (intimidating to say the least). In the end I got through clean and was happy to be sitting in 5th up the first climb. Norri and Aido had a small gap over the top and Carslo, Me, Hendo and Pauly followed at about 15sec. On lap 2 Carslo had unloaded Hendo and I, but we were happy to keep ticking over knowing that we hadn't given up much time and we were still within striking distance; a good plan in hind sight that worked for Hendo, but by lap 4 I was fading fast. As I had suspected, the steep pinches had taken there toll and I had to battle around to hang onto 6th by the finish. Hendo went on to take his first win - well done mate.
Overall I am very happy with my race. My quickest lap time was up there, and at the halfway mark I was still in contention. With a bit more training I reckon I should be able to squeeze a few more quick laps out. Looking forward to Tassie in a few weeks.

No comments: