Monday, March 22, 2010

Oceania Championships - Dunedin NZ


Well, it has been a hectic past few weeks of racing, travelling and training, as well as getting all my affairs in order before the 6 trip to Europe. I hope i got everything done...too bad if i didn't because there is little i can do now from the Qantas Club in Melbourne apart from continue to smash through their entire supply of smoked salmon.

The Oceania Champs in Dunedin last weekend was a rather pleasant way to top up the UCI points before heading to Europe. I had a somewhat unwanted stress when trusty Qantas lost our luggage and my bike (i'd better get more salmon, they owe me). Luckily, Rosie had once again outdone herself with the accommodation so at least i had a lovely view of Otago Harbour to look at while i waited patiently for my bike to finally arrive. It eventually showed up the day before the race.

With some tough climbing and plenty of fast smooth pine forest single track, the course was heaps of fun and well suited to the euro-veterans Dan Mac and Lachy. As predicted, those two went out hard and no one could go with them up the first climb. VDP was in third and i was just back with AJ and Mike Northcot. With the 5 lap race including plenty of climbing, i was trying to save a little for the 2nd half, but with Northcot sliping into 4th and Aj right behind i was pushing pretty hard...then disaster....a flat tyre. I couldn't believe my luck, there were about 2 rocks on the entire track, how could this happen?!?!!? Anyway, after a disappointingly long pit stop i was back in the race, sitting in about 12th(?) and struggling to regain my rhythm. I no longer felt smooth and i was nursing the rear wheel which i had only managed to get up to about 20 psi. I battled back to 9th before the finish managing to salvage a valuable 75 uci points. I'm still really happy with my form, and i am glad i have got my annual flat tyre out of the way early this year.

I am feeling a bit better prepared heading to Europe this year with a few k's, a couple of stage races and a couple of strong races under my belt. Hopefully i can settle in over there and have a good ride in the first world cup at Darlby Forest in the UK. However, I'm not sure how i will be feeling this weekend at the UK national series opener in Sherwood Pines, wait and see i suppose.

Ciao.

P.S. i have now established that it is possible to eat too much smoked salmon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have fun at Sherwood Pines. Think of it as a damper version of Majura. I reckon you might want to whip on a 44 though.