Thursday, February 4, 2010

National Series #2 & Wildside



It has been pretty hectic of late with plenty of racing going on. No sooner had i unpacked my bike from Adelaide Nationals, i was packing it up again for the trip to Shepparton for the 2nd round of the Jayco National Mtb Series.

The course was a little different, very rocky and exposed. It was quite fun though, and being rocky i felt at home. The race went well, i got the hole shot and opened up a small lead on the climb on the first lap. Norri was the only one to bridge across to me before the top and we descended the hill ahead of the chasers on the first lap. On the hill for lap 2 and I had to let Norri go, he was too strong and i didn't fancy blowing too early. I just tried to find a comfortable tempo, and to not take too many risks on the descent. I started to tire a little through the middle of the race, and lost a few places to Hendo, Aido and Sid, but i finished of strongly to hold of Carlso. I was quite pleased with the result.

Then off to Tasmania for the Wildside MTB stage race. I had always wanted to do this race so when i got the call up from the KOM Cyclery Team, i couldn't say no. The race was run over 4 days and a total of 7 race stages. The tour took us from Cradle mountain in the Tasmanian alpine region, down through the rain forest scenery and former mining areas of Tullah and Zeehan, then on to the coast at Trial Harbour and eventually the picturesque town of Strahan. There were plenty of fast riders there so the racing was very fast. I rode quite consistently and managed to avoid any flat tyres or mechanicals to eventually finish in 4th place overall, and the first "veteran". I am not too impressed but being 30 makes me a vet, at least i got a bottle of wine for each stage i won. Lucky i had the teammates to help me get through it so i didn't have any trouble with excess baggage on the flight home. Macca took out the event with Steele Von Hoff and Paul VDP close behind. My team mates Wazza, Zoe and Naomi took 3rd, 2nd and 3rd respectively in there categories. Wildside was a great experience and excellent training. The KOM crew and especially Sammy (our soigneur) looked after us so well. Thanks to DC and Wazza too for paying my way and sorting me out with an awesome bike to ride. I was skeptical at first but i am now definitely a fan of Cannondale's "Lefty" suspension.




No comments: