Monday, September 14, 2009

Champery World Cup


Hot tube after the race


Lach doing some yoga


Lachy smashing the Via Ferrata


Kat on the Via Ferrata


The field climbing the steep hill on lap 2 (i'm at the back of the bunch)

The Champery World Cup didn’t quite go as planned. The start lap went up a long bitumen climb and was a bit scary with the usual hussle and pile-ups. I was pretty lucky and happened to be on the left when there was a crash on the right, then over on the right when there was a crash on the left. The first descent was a shit fight with so much traffic; in fact most of it was running. I tried really hard to get in a good rythmn but the combination of bumper to bumper traffic and wide open climb made it a really stop/start affair. I felt like i had nothing in my legs. The over night rain had made the track somewhat treacherous with plenty of slippery root sections and I was even having trouble to find some nice flow in the singletrack. I had a few crashes including one pearler which was a full superman over the bunting and a tumble down a steep glassy hill. Lucky Macca saw it so we had something to laugh about after the race.

After battling away for 4 laps I was eventually pulled in 91st place. Lachy and Macca were right behind me and none of us were very impressed with our performances. I think there is some form in in there somewhere, but at the end of the season it seems to be quite tricky to extract it. Perhaps we have been having too much of a holiday to race well? It has been really tough staying in a swiss chalet high up in the mountains. Hopefully we can all turn it around for weekend in Austria.

No comments: